Bat-Mites: Quick and short reviews of the new Batman comics of the week. Let’s not get too wordy, let’s just get into it.
Batman: Dark Knight v2 #29
I don’t generally read Batman: Dark Knight. Of the many unnecessary Bat-titles, it ranks fairly high. Since its inception, DK always felt more like showpiece for art than story, David Finch’s heavy involvement being a strong indicator. Unfortunately, this recent issue didn’t do much to dissuade me.
Apparently, Man-Bat’s dad has become a “super strong” Man-Bat creature that is killing homeless people, cuz…yeah. The entire book consistently felt a bit off, be it character interactions (Batman and Gordon debating grammar issues) or plot points (the gratuitous and simplistic pantomime of “the 1% vs. the other 99%” as a Man-Bat disposes of “society’s refuse” by exsanguination). So much of this book seemed flimsy and superficial, while missing out on any of the joy or excitement of other “more straightforward” Bat adventures.
I don’t mind Gregg Hurwitz writing (I like him as a person and have enjoyed his previous works), but it just felt a bit flat and forced. Jorge Lucas and Ethan Van Sciver did a satisfactory job of providing the brooding darkness and the clean action spectacle, respectively. Just on the whole, it was bland.
Not every issue is going to be a masterpiece, which is fine. The previous issues and plots of this title did not instill in me a profound expectancy. This was just an issue that was…there… At least, it did give us a highly important moment in all of Batman comics: the final moment of Batman’s crime-fighting career. This moment occurs early in the issue as Bats is falling helplessly from thousands of feet up from the Batplane. At terminal velocity, Batman makes a last-ditch effort to stave off his imminent demise by using wrist grappling hooks to attach to parallel buildings, halting his descent precipitously. In the process, Batman rips both arms out of socket (perhaps even from his torso), and suffers irreparable damage to his musculature and skeletal system. There is no way he is going to be swinging around Gotham ever again with such extensive damage. Well, it was a good run while it lasted…. (Remarkably, they progressed with the story as if nothing had happened and he sustained no immediate injuries from this. I assume the rest of the story took place in some subconscious netherworld of Bruce’s creation as he was laid up recovering in a state of unconsciousness. Probably a way for Batman’s super-ego to come to terms with his new situation as a semi-normal person that will never raise his arms again. It was nice of the storytellers to give us a glimpse of what might have been…)
Mini-Batarang Reviews: A sentence about other comics that came out and I have had the chance to read.
* This week’s comic reading gauntlet left me mentally wiped out last night. The Wheel of Pain keeps spinning though…*
Dead Body Road#4 – Solid but not spectacular (except for the gruesome deaths). Action packed.
Walking Dead #124– Will Rick die?!? (yawn). Continues.
Survive#9 – A boring filler issue between Cataclysm and the new Ultimate books as we all attend Cap’s funeral. Let us rest in peace.
Superior Spider-Man #30 – This tired saga is finally wrapping up as we expunge Dock Oc for Pete. Finally.
Ghost Rider #1 – A surprisingly good read as Tradd Moore takes the spotlight in this new iteration of the Spirit of Vengeance. Slick and solid.
Guardians of the Galaxy #13 – This Jean Grey story ends and Cyclops goes into space…wait, this was a Guardians issue, right?. X title in disguise.
Silver Surfer #1 – Not as wonderous and space-tastic as I had hoped… Am I the only one who gets a “Silver skinned Doctor Who about to have wacky adventures with his new companion” vibe here? . Nice enough.
Wolverine: Origin II #4– Wolvie pops those claws when he shouldn’t have. Nobody saw that coming did they (rolls his eyes). Quick at least.
Deadly Class #3 – One of the better books of the week. A tighter and more character driven issue that really worked. Check this book out.
Hawkeye #18 – This book has almost lost me, especially after this less-than-stellar “Kate tries to help Kolchak the Nightstalker” issue. Running on fumes.
Manhattan Projects #19 – Trying to describe the insanity in this book, especially this issue, is futile. Just plain nuts. In a good way.
Mind MGMT #20– Not the greatest issue but still one of the top titles currently being published. Always amaze.
If you have questions, want to discuss, or vehemently disagree, feel free to comment below. Till next time…